May 9, 2012

Weekend Visit to UMass


This weekend I drove onto campus for the first time as an admitted student! When I saw this sign I was overwhelmed with giddiness and to a certain extent nervousness about the changes to come. This is where I am going to spend the next 5 years of my life studying. At some point I will probably walk by this sign and not have any reaction at all, but for now I am relishing the excitement and anticipation.

During my weekend visit I spent some time in Northampton (where I hope to find an apartment),  I also spent a few hours on campus and visited downtown Amherst before calling it a day.

Northampton is cute and trendy with a dash of hippie.  I perused the shops, ate at a great Moroccan restaurant and stopped by the local farmer's market. For my campus visit I really just wandered around for a long time, but in honor of my undergraduate record, I completed my wandering with a nap on the green next to the campus pond. The nap was really enhanced by the background music, played presumably by a student, on a tuba. Hahaha.

The visit was rounded out by some more meandering in downtown Amherst, where Steve and I encountered the most amazing alley ever!

You may see this picture and think, that can't be an alley, it must simply be a crack between two buildings. Well it was an alley and there were signs for a local Thai restaurant leading potential customers down the alley. For a little perspective, I have also included a picture with Steve and I in the alley. It really is just about 1 person and some wiggle room wide.  :)







Overall the weekend was a great success and I can't wait until I have signed a lease somewhere in the area!

No comments:

Post a Comment